In order to teach within the public elementary, middle years or secondary schools of British Columbia, a certificate of qualification is required.
The Teaching Profession Act has assigned authority to the Ministry of Education Teacher Regulation Branch (TRB) to issue teaching certificates and to determine the classes of certificates of qualification issued. At the end of each program, the faculty reports to the Teacher Regulation Branch the names of students who have satisfied requirements for BC teacher certification. This report includes a copy of each teacher candidate’s UBC transcript.
A copy of the UBC transcript is also forwarded to the Teacher Qualification Service (TQS).
Those not wishing their status reported and their UBC transcripts forwarded to the TRB should inform the Associate Dean, Teacher Education, in writing at least one month before they complete teacher certification requirements. (Committee on Curriculum Admissions Standing and Appeals, Spring 2001)
Persons convicted of, or given an absolute or conditional discharge on, a criminal offence and considering a teaching career, should write the TRB for clarification of their status before undertaking a teacher education program.
For further information, visit the Ministry of Education website.
Instructional Videos on How to Apply
Scroll down to the bottom of this page for the videos:
- Video 1: Overview – for all applicants
- Video 2: Creating an Account – for all applicants
- Video 3: Completing the Application Form – for all applicants
- Video 4: Providing Identification and Character References – for all applicants
- Video 5: Submitting Transcripts – for applicants who are completing (or have recently completed) a teacher education program at a BC university
- Video 6: Checking Your Application Status – for applicants who are completing (or have recently completed) a teacher education program at a BC university
- Video 7: Maintaining Your Certificate – for applicants who are completing (or have recently completed) a teacher education program at a BC university
Teacher candidates can start their applications anytime to the Teacher Qualification Service. The TQS recommends that TCs submit applications between one and six months before graduating but no more than 9 months prior to graduating. An application is held open for a maximum of one year before it is closed. If an application is closed, then BEd program graduates would simply need to reapply. Any transcripts that were sent prior to an application being closed are kept and need not be resubmitted. Click here for additional information on how to apply to the TQS.
If the exchange credit/course is not listed in detail on the program transcript, then the TRB and TQS will definitely require the original transcript. (“Detail” meaning that the course name and subject are listed individually on the transcript and not general statement of transfer. E.g., ENGL 3rd “3 credits”, EXCH 3 credits, etc.) The course name and subject are listed individually with individual credit: e.g., ENGL 320 3 credits.