In order to teach within the public elementary, middle years or secondary schools of British Columbia, a certificate of qualification is required.
The Teaching Profession Act has assigned authority to the Ministry of Education Teacher Certification Branch (TCB) to issue teaching certificates and to determine the classes of certificates of qualification issued. At the end of each program, the faculty reports to the Teacher Certification Branch the names of students who have satisfied requirements for BC teacher certification. This report includes a copy of each teacher candidate’s UBC transcript.
A copy of the UBC transcript is also forwarded to the Teacher Qualification Service (TQS).
Those not wishing their status reported and their UBC transcripts forwarded to the TCB should inform the Associate Dean, Teacher Education, in writing at least one month before they complete teacher certification requirements. (Committee on Curriculum Admissions Standing and Appeals, Spring 2001)
Please note: teacher candidates are responsible for forwarding their practicum reports to the TCB. The TEO does not do this on behalf of the TC.
Persons convicted of, or given an absolute or conditional discharge on, a criminal offence and considering a teaching career, should write the TCB for clarification of their status before undertaking a teacher education program.
For further information, visit the Ministry of Education website.
Instructional Videos on How to Apply
Instructional videos on the process for applying for the BC Certificate of Qualification are available on the TCB’s web page (scroll down to “Get Help with the Application Process” and click “Videos”):
- Video 1: Overview – for all applicants
- Video 2: Creating an Account – for all applicants
- Video 3: Completing the Application Form – for all applicants
- Video 4: Providing Identification and Character References – for all applicants
- Video 5: Submitting Transcripts – for applicants who are completing (or have recently completed) a teacher education program at a BC university
- Video 6: Checking Your Application Status – for applicants who are completing (or have recently completed) a teacher education program at a BC university
- Video 7: Maintaining Your Certificate – for applicants who are completing (or have recently completed) a teacher education program at a BC university