Admissions FAQS

General FAQs


When is the application deadline?

See dates here.

Do I have to disclose if I have a disability?

The Teacher Education Office strives to provide inclusive, equitable, and accessible service to our students. If you have a disability that may require accommodation or academic concession during your time as UBC student, please register with the Centre for Accessibility. By registering with the Centre for Accessibility, you can request a new academic concession or disability accommodation, and discuss options with your Accessibility Advisor.

First, to register with the Centre, you must meet with an Accessibility Advisor. Please complete the steps on the Centre’s registration page. Please note that if you have previously communicated with the Centre for Accessibility during your time in another UBC program, you should still reconnect with them so that any future accommodations can be aligned in the most effective way to your Bachelor of Education program.

Can academic requirements be completed online?

Academic requirements can be taken from any accredited post-secondary institution, and can be taken in any format, in-person or online. Institutions such as Athabasca University and Thompson Rivers Online Learning offer a number of online courses.

What are the experience requirements and when should they be completed?

Applicants must have volunteered or worked in some capacity in a group setting with children or youth of the age level you wish to teach (5-12 for elementary and middle years or 13-17 for secondary). Please visit Experience Requirements for further details.

Experience requirements must be completed and received in our office by the application deadline. However, we recommend completing them much sooner as this will give your referees time to submit their references.

When are the two reference reports due?

Deadlines can be found here.

If I complete the minimum admission requirements, am I guaranteed admission?

Admission to the program is competitive and meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission.

I want to teach French. What do I need?

In addition to all other academic and experience requirements, applicants must complete an acceptable French proficiency assessment, the DELF/DALF.

For more details on what is required for admission, please visit the French specialization page.

How many spots are available and how many applications are typically received?

Last year, we accepted over 700 students and received 1500 applications.

The minimum volunteer hours recommended for a competitive application is 100. How many hours do you recommend applicants obtain?

A more competitive applicant would typically try to exceed the published minimum 75 hours of experience with age-appropriate groups of students/youth that shows leadership and an ability to organize and communicate effectively.

When should I have my documents in?

Documents should be sent well in advance of the deadline. Please see deadline dates here.

Do I need to send proof of enrollment for courses I’m taking before I receive a decision?


If some of our documents are mailed in before the deadline, but do not reach the Education Office until after the deadline, would they still be accepted?

Yes. Please keep receipts of your transcript orders as proof.

If I reapply, will the Teacher Education Office move my transcripts, references, and supporting documents forward?

No. Applicants reapplying are required to have new, sealed, official copies of all post-secondary transcripts sent directly to the TEO from the issuing institution. We also require applicants to resubmit French/English language proficiency assessments and have their new or existing referees submit new, up-to-date reference forms.


How is my application evaluated?

Your application is evaluated for both your academic requirements (specific course work, GPA, overall academic history) and your Personal Profile (including experience, writing abilities and references). When we receive your Personal Profile, it is read by education professionals who evaluate and make recommendations for admission based upon quality, quantity, and relevance of your combined experiences, written language skills, and references. Applicants may be invited for an interview.

Is my admissions decision final?

Applicants who believe they may have been unjustly denied admission may submit a formal appeal within 10 business days days of the issue date of the notification of the admission or readmission decision according to the policy and process outlined on the UBC Admissions/Appeals website. We strongly suggest contacting the Teacher Education Office and speaking with an admissions officer before submitting an appeal.

How are my interactions with the Teacher Education Office taken into account?

Please note that all communication and interactions with the Teacher Education Office and Faculty of Education are considered part of the admissions process and are taken into account when considering applicants for admission. Admission may be denied to applicants who communicate in an unprofessional manner or who act in an inappropriate manner during the admissions process, regardless of academic standing.

What is the competitive average?

A competitive GPA usually hovers around 80%.

How do you calculate GPA?

For the secondary program, we will be looking at your top 18 senior-level credits in your teachable subject(s).

For the elementary & middle years program, we will be looking at your most recent 60 relevant academic credits. This includes anyone who have taken additional courses outside of their degree.

We are only able to include in GPA evaluation the marks for courses that have final grades reported on an official transcript before the deadline of January 15 as we start assessments right away. Coursework taken after this date will not be used for GPA calculation.

Do you hold transcripts on file?

Only under special circumstances such as irreplaceable documents from a foreign country.

Do I need to send in my UBC Transcript?

You do not need to request for a transcript to be sent from UBC if you are a UBC student; note that you need to provide your UBC student number on your EducationPlannerBC application form. If you transferred into UBC from another institution, an official transcript must be provided from all non-UBC post-secondary institutions.

When can I drop off transcripts?

The TEO does not accept transcripts dropped off in person. All transcripts need to be sent directly from the issuing institution(s). Please see our Transcripts page for more details.

If I have diplomas from programs that aren’t related to my teachable subjects, do you still require a transcript from that program?


If I go on exchange to a university outside of Canada. Do I have to submit transcripts from that university?

Yes, unless you participated in the Go Global Exchange program at UBC.

If my institution is unable to send my transcript to UBC but is able to provide me with an original transcript in a sealed envelope, can I drop it off at the office?

The institution is required to send official correspondence to TEO to confirm that they will not provide a transcript.

When do we hear back about our admission status?

Most decisions are sent by the end of May each year, with some coming later.

I am applying from a Canadian University with a different credit system. How do those credits translate?

Check with your institution’s advisors to ensure your degree is the academic equivalent of a 4-year 120-credit UBC bachelor’s degree.

How do I assess course equivalents?

Count your contact hours per course. Usually at UBC, a three credit course is thirty nine contact hours in classrooms. Please see our academic self-assessment page.

What credits would be approved for the requirements?

Before you speak with an advisor, look at our self-assessment worksheets.

Do we require official time logs for volunteer/experience hours?

No. However, you are required to provide your supervisor’s information and contact information along with your self reported hours so that the TEO may verify with them if necessary.

Is a course graded on a Credit/D/F basis accepted for admission purposes?

The BEd admissions team accepts Credit/D grading for coursework that is presented toward meeting BEd admission requirements. An ‘F’ is not accepted toward meeting an admission requirement. For more information on UBC’s Credit/D/F grading, please visit and consult with your home faculty’s academic advisor.


Can I complete the program online or part-time?

The 11-month BEd at UBC Vancouver is an intensive, full-time, face-to-face program comprised of on-campus coursework and in-person practica experiences. If you are interested in rural and remote education, the 24-month Rural and Remote (RRED) BEd is a hybrid program with in-person and online components that is intended for those in rural and remote regions of BC.

Is my acceptance deposit refundable?

The deposit is not refundable, should you choose to withdraw from the program.

How much does the program cost?

Please click here for current UBC domestic and international tuition fees.

Once I get my BEd, do I have to teach full time or can I be employed as a Teacher on Call (TOC) forever if I wish?

When you get your degree, you can teach full time, part time, and/or TOC forever depending on the district.

When is the next BEd intake?

We do intakes each September.

Is there a lot of coursework during the program? Is it reasonable for students to work during the program?

For every hour of instruction, it takes around two to three hours of planning at the beginning. If possible, we recommend avoiding working during this program.

Is it possible to do a practicum in a district not listed on the UBC site?

If you are interested in doing a practicum elsewhere, it will require our practicum coordinators to create a new working relationship with that school. There is no guarantee. Meet with your practicum coordinators to see if there has been a history of working with the school you are interested in; or if there is a reason why they are no longer partners.


Is the BC teaching certificate accepted across Canada?

Those who have completed a teacher education program from a Canadian province/territory may qualify for teacher certification in another province/territory under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA). Please contact that province/territory’s teacher certification body for more details.

I am in another Teacher Education Program in a different school, can I transfer to the BEd program at UBC?

We do not take any transfer students. You will have to complete the entire program.

I have a teaching license from another jurisdiction. Will UBC be able to offer me an equivalent designation?

Individuals who already have a prior Bachelor of Education degree/teacher certification from another country or province are requested to contact the Teacher Regulation Branch for assessment, as they will assess these situations on a case-by-case basis. The Teacher Regulation Branch is the certifying body for the teaching profession in British Columbia.

What is a Dual Degree?

Please see our website for more information on Dual Degrees. You can also check with the coordinator of your UBC department as well as the TEO Program Manager for the Dual Degree option, Bette Shippam at

Is it possible to get a conditional offer before I submit my IELTS test result?

Yes, although it is recommended to have a successful IELTS or TOEFL result before you receive any decision on admission.

Can I defer my admission offer?


Is the criminal record check a requirement?

Yes. Detailed instructions are provided with the admission offer. Applicants should not obtain a criminal record check in advance as any prior criminal record checks undertaken outside of this office will not fulfill this requirement.

Clearance of this criminal record check is required in order to begin the BEd program or take certain courses in the Faculty of Education.

If you have been convicted of, or given an absolute or conditional discharge, or received a pardon on a criminal offence and you are considering a teaching career, you should contact the Ministry of Education Teacher Regulation Branch (TRB) before undertaking a teacher education program or taking courses at the Faculty of Education.

How much does the program cost?

Please click here for current UBC domestic and international tuition fees.

Elementary & Middle Years

Do I need to have, or be eligible for, a degree to be considered for this option?

Applicants must have completed a four-year undergraduate equivalent to UBC’s 120-credit Bachelor degree, while also meeting the academic admission requirements.

If I am not admitted to the French Immersion program, will I be evaluated for the English stream?

Due to the number of applications we receive, we are unable to guarantee that unsuccessful French Immersion applications will be evaluated for the English stream.

I have already taken a course that is part of the elementary program course load. Can I choose another one?

Our elementary program is a standard timetable. The only courses that you can choose in the program are the elective courses. If it is a required part of the course load, you will not be able to drop it. Courses cannot be transferred into the program.

What if I want to apply to the West Kootenay Rural Elementary Teacher Education (WKTEP) option?

WKTEP is one cohort within our UBC Vancouver administered BEd program. You follow the same application process as for UBC Vancouver but choose WKTEP for your first-choice degree option/chosen program.

How do I indicate that I am interested in Middle Years on the application form?

Enrolment into the Middle Years cohort is completed after you have been offered admission, during the registration stage.

You can indicate your interest in the Middle Years cohort in your Personal Profile to notify Admissions of your preference.


Secondary FAQs

Do I need to have, or be eligible for, a degree to be considered for this option?

You may apply with a degree that is the academic equivalent of a 4-year 120-credit UBC degree while also meeting the academic admission requirements.

How is this option different from the Elementary & Middle Years option?

This option prepares you to teach secondary grade levels with one to two teachable subjects.

If I apply to the Secondary program, but I have a lot of elementary school experience, should I include it?

If you wish to teach Secondary, it is ideal to have experience with large groups of youth aged 13-17. However, elementary school experience can be considered and you are able to include it in your application if you wish. Make sure to explain in your profile why you would like to teach the Secondary age group.

What if I want to apply to the West Kootenay Rural Secondary Teacher Education (WKTEP) option?

WKTEP is one cohort within our UBC-Vancouver administered BEd program. You follow the same application process as for UBC-Vancouver but choose WKTEP for your first choice program option, credential version.

What teachable subjects are the most competitive?

Generally, English and Social Studies (History/Geography) have the most applicants. There are fewer applicants in Physics, Mathematics, Home Economics, and French and, thus, these subject areas are in higher demand by schools.

Does my TA/Undergraduate teaching count toward my experience?

While the evaluation does not discount any of your experience, stronger applicants will have gained most of their experience with secondary students/youth. While all teaching experience is valuable, there is a large difference between teaching undergrads and secondary students even if they are in similar age brackets. In short, you should plan on having group experience with secondary-aged students not in a university or college setting.

If I am applying to two Secondary teachable subjects, how will the Grade Point Average be calculated? Do I need to take extra courses if I am choosing two teachable subjects?

Your Grade Point Average is calculated for each subject. Each subject is calculated with the top eighteen senior level credits as well as required subject courses. We do not require you to take extra courses as long as you take all the courses on the required list. If both final GPAs are similar and competitive, you will likely get into both teachable subjects. However, if you are significantly stronger for one subject, you would be admitted for the stronger subject only.