BEd applicants must provide two professional references from appropriate individuals who have experience working with youth or children and who have observed the applicant working in group settings with age-appropriate students or youth, preferably within the last 2 years. References from experiences up to 5 years prior to application will also be considered.
Referees must be credible authorities who can speak to the applicant’s experiences, interests and abilities relevant to the teaching profession. They cannot be a family member or a personal friend.
Applicants must arrange for the submission of two confidential reference reports to be sent on their behalf. We will not accept more than two reports. Letters in lieu of these report forms are not acceptable.
The reference portal for the 2023/24 Bachelor of Education is now open.
- Classroom teacher at an elementary or secondary school
- Camp director
- Daycare program coordinator
- School administrator, who has observed you with age-appropriate groups of students (e.g., principal, vice-principal)
- Family members (including in-laws, step-family, etc.)
- Parent of child whom applicant tutored privately
- University professor who did not observe the applicant teaching youth or children in a group setting.
- University professor who supervised TA work at a university or college
- A classroom teacher whose only relationship to you is as their student
Submission Instructions for All Programs Except NITEP
The reference portal for 2023/24 applicants will be open from October 1, 2022 to January 31, 2023. Applicants will not be allowed to enter their reference choices after this date. Referees will have until February 15, 2023 to complete their reference reports. After this, the webform will close and no more reference reports will be accepted.
Follow only one of the links below to begin the reference portion of your application. You may complete this portion before submitting an application, but please make sure that you have at least started an online application before completing this portion. Reference report forms are due at the same time of your application on January 31., so it is beneficial for you to start this portion at the same time of you completing your application.
Note: unless you are a self-identified Indigenous person of Canada, please choose the first link.
- Reference Report Form: general BEd applications
- Reference Report Form: self-identified Indigenous applicants to the BEd
The following instructions will be sent to your referee automatically. You may wish to review them as well.Sample Reference Report
Applicants, please take note:
- References are completed via an online system that will not be visible to you.
- References are due January 31, 2023.
- Applications are considered incomplete without two completed reference forms. It is your responsibility to follow up with referees to ensure references have been submitted.
NITEP Submission Instructions
You have multiple options for submitting your references
1. Online by visiting the Online Reference Report for NITEP applicants.
- Complete reference PDFs can then be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or sent through the post to:
Faculty of Education, UBC
200-2008 Lower Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
Tips on How to Ask for a Letter of Reference
- Make sure that once you have identified two appropriate references, you actively engage them by asking for feedback on their observation of your interactions with youth or children. This will not only help you identify your strengths and challenges, it will also provide your referee with some concrete examples of what they may comment on in their report.
- Let them know early on in your volunteer/work experience that you may eventually ask them to provide a reference in support of your application.
- When formally asking for a reference, it is advisable to ask your referee “would you be willing to write me a favourable reference in support of my application to the BEd program at UBC?” Asking this question will likely provide you with a clearer idea of the strength of your reference.
- Be aware, however, that a reference may say no when asked this question; it is better to know this so that you may obtain a stronger reference rather than submit a poor one.
- Lastly, once you have secured your references, it is a good idea to go over the Reference Report Form with them and stress the importance of their providing comments that support their ranking of you.
- This form is confidential and is sent directly to the TEO by your two referees.
|Application||January 15 (Extended deadline: January 31)|
|Transcripts and references||January 15 (Extended deadline: January 31)|
|Reference Report Form (filled by referees)||January 31 (Extended deadline: February 15)|
|Course completion||June 30|
|Final transcripts (to meet conditions)||July 31|