English is the primary language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students are required to demonstrate a minimum level of English before they’re admitted.
For entry to the Bachelor of Education, there are two ways to meet this requirement:
- Graduate from a recognized degree program at an accredited university at which English is the primary language of instruction in a country where English is the principal language.
- Achieve the competence standard indicated by one of the tests of English language proficiency listed below (TOEFL or IELTS).
If you require an English language proficiency assessment, we will accept IELTS-Academic or TOEFL-iBT. No other assessment test will be accepted.
|IELTS - Academic||TOEFL-ibt|
|TEO||Overall 6.5 – 7 on writing & speaking, no part less than 6.||Overall 98 – Reading 23, Listening 23, Writing 25, Speaking 27|
If you are applying for a French specialization, the DELF/DALF is required.
- Results of DELF/DALF and English language proficiency assessments are due no later than June 30
- Francophone students with a diploma from a Francophone university are exempt from this requirement
- Students who have passed the French Language Assessment (FLA) within two years of applying to the BEd program, will be accepted based on the current DELF/DALF equivalencies