The Faculty of Education has a long-standing commitment to excellence in teaching. In recognition of the significant contribution that Sessional and Lecturer faculty members make to our programs, the Faculty of Education offers a Sessional and Lecturer Faculty Teaching Prize to outstanding educators. The prize includes both a plaque and $1000 and is awarded at the year-end Faculty meeting in May.
The award is open to any individual holding an appointment as a Sessional, Lecturer or Adjunct Teaching Professor (seconded teacher) during the current academic year. While previous award winners are not eligible, previous nominees are encouraged to reapply.
These prizes are based on teaching broadly defined over time and not solely on current classroom teaching. Consideration should be given to:
- Teaching performance in formal settings such as courses, lectures, online courses, tutorials, labs, practica and clinical placements (including a record of course evaluations),
- Teaching performance in informal settings such as but not exclusive to student supervision, advising, consultation, etc.
- Innovation in curricula and pedagogies, including revising courses, teaching methodologies, materials, delivery formats, etc.
- Community engagement with educational institutions and other groups, e.g., regionally, nationally, internationally
- Professional development that enriches one’s own teaching practice
Nomination Process: Department/School Deadline
One letter of nomination indicating the case for awarding a teaching prize to the nominee should be sent to the Department Head/Director. The letter should clearly address the five criteria outlined above with specific examples for each. Faculty and students wishing to nominate a faculty member are encouraged to start early and consult with their Department Head/Director as the nomination process proceeds.
Up to six support letters (maximum of two pages each) may be included in the nomination package (PDF).These letters should represent the diversity of the nominee’s teaching responsibilities.
The nominee should include a one-page teaching philosophy statement as well as a CV.
The nomination package must be sent electronically to the Department Head or Director by February 10, 2017:
- ECPS: Dr. Lee Gunderson
- EDCP: Dr. Samson Nashon
- EDST: Dr. Ali Abdi
- KIN: Dr. Robert Boushel
- LLED: Dr. Anthony Paré
- EDUC: Dr. Wendy Carr
Nomination Process: Faculty Deadline
Each department/school will follow its own internal review processes and may choose to submit more than one nomination to the Faculty level committee.
The Department Head/Director will submit the nomination package along with a cover letter that includes a longitudinal review of the nominee’s teaching performance (using course evaluation information) and any other pertinent information to the Chair of the Sessional and Lecturer Faculty Teaching Prize Committee, Dr. Wendy Carr, Associate Dean, Teacher Education Office by February 24, 2017.