COVID-19 Admissions FAQS for Applicants

Due to the rapidly evolving nature of this global pandemic, these FAQS will be updated as we obtain more information. Please check back for the latest answers to frequently asked questions on admissions to the BEd program.

Prospective Applicants for 2021/22 BEd Program

When are applications for the 2021/22 BEd due?

The online application opens on 1 October 2020 and closes on 15 January 2021. Find more information here.

How can I do my volunteer/experience hours?

You are able to include experience from the last five years if it is relevant to your application. Competitive applications will have a range of experiences (volunteer or paid) with age-appropriate groups of students or youth. The strongest kind of experience you can obtain is sustained and ongoing over a significant period of time. Attempting to gain the a competitive amount of experience over the course of one school semester is difficult even during normal operations.

What if I can’t meet the experience requirement because of COVID-19 restrictions? Will you be adjusting evaluation criteria?

If you have been unable to fulfill or exceed the experience component of the BEd application, we still encourage you to apply to the program. You should provide information using the ‘Additional Information’ box in the online application if you faced issues with gaining recent and relevant experience. Should the need arise to adjust evaluation criteria, we will do so based on the applicant pool for the 2021 intake. It is impossible for our evaluations team to decide what, if any, criteria to adjust before seeing the majority of applications.

My university is offering Credit/D/Fail grading due to the present circumstances. Will having many classes with that grading (20+ credits within the last 60 credits) affect my application?

We advise you to continue with your classes at your institution as they are available. Should this situation continue for an extended period, the admissions committee will announce any changes to assessment procedures.

I’m an international applicant and my university is closed for the foreseeable future. How can I send you my final transcript? Do you accept electronic copies?

If you are completing courses at an international institution, please check whether they can arrange to send an official final transcript electronically through email or other means.

I can’t register for courses at my institution because registration is not available.

Many institutions are experiencing delays with moving courses online and there may be other factors involved. Best practice at this time is to keep up-to-date with your home institution as things progress with this situation.

In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, our professor has given us the option to receive a Credit/D/F for this term’s course. I am considering this option. However, I am wondering if doing this will impact my application to the UBC BEd program?

The UBC Bachelor of Education admissions team will accept a Credit/D grade for courses that an applicant presents towards meeting UBC BEd academic requirements. Understandably, the admissions team will not accept an ‘F’ course towards meeting an academic requirement.

Admissions will not use a Credit/D grade in the applicant’s GPA calculation, however they do use a grade of ‘F’ in the GPA calculation. For more information on UBC’s Credit/D/F marks, please visit

My Lab Science course is now online. Will an online Lab Science course be acceptable to fulfill the requirement for Elementary & Middle Years?

Contact your instructor or institution to find out how the course components will be delivered. If the lab component has been cancelled, you should find a suitable science course that has a lab component. If you’re unsure whether any course meets admission criteria, please consult this list of acceptable courses. This is not an exhaustive list, but can act as a good guideline for which courses to look at. If your course is not listed here, please contact and your query will be directed to an admissions officer.

I am required to provide a language proficiency test, but the centres in my area are closed.

UBC will accept the TOEFL-ibt Special Home Edition, which can be done remotely.

Can advising be done over video call? When will advising resume?

Advising has resumed for the 2021/22 application cycle. Advisors are available via Zoom. There are a number of online information sessions scheduled as well. Please visit and for more information.